Homeaway.com / VRBO.com's Service fee
Starting May 30th 2016, homeaway.com / vrbo.com has started charging what they call a 'Service fee'. According to homeaway.com, this service fee gives benefits / value to the guest. But I have a strong suspicion they have added this to earn more money. Read More here : https://help.homeaway.com/articles/What-is-the-service-fee-and-how-does-it-work.
The service fee ranges for 4 to 8 percent, depending on the rental amount. It's charged by homeaway.com on top of the rental amount. And on top of the yearly fee that the owners pay to advertise. You might have guessed I'm not happy about this.
(homeaway.com / vrbo.com has many "sister sites", as ownersdirect.com, holidayrentals.co.uk. But it's basically the same advert on all sites, and the same fee.)
Renting without this fee
The service fee can be avoided for those customers that doesn't want to pay this. Homeaway.com is fully honest that it's only added if the guest wants to pay through homeaway.com. For alternative payment methods, the fee is not added.
To rent our condo without this service fee, just confirm by e-mail that you want to rent our condo. I will then arrange everything for you, including prepare for alternative payment methods. Our options are :
- Credit Card over the phone to our on-site partner in Orlando
- Check Payment to our on-site partner in Orlando
- Bank transfer to our bank account in US or Norway
The deposit is the due three days after booking.
Renting with this fee.
If you want to rent our condo including this service fee, you can either book online at our ad at homeaway.com or confirm by e-mail. And I will initiate this from my side. Including prepare for the deposit through homeaway.com.
Including in the service fee is :
- 24/7 customer support on the homeaway.com / vrbo.com website
- Enhanced site and mobile features for both owner and travelers
- Expanded marketing efforts
- Book with confidence guarantee. Read More : https://help.homeaway.com/articles/What-is-the-Book-with-Confidence-Guarantee
Most important benefits for you as the traveler, is perhaps the book with confidence guarantee. Read more here : https://help.homeaway.com/articles/What-is-the-Book-with-Confidence-Guarantee. This includes :
- Comprehensive payment protection that protects your full rental payment against listing fraud, phishing, property significantly misrepresented and more
- Premium customer service that is available 24/7 to help you if you have issues or questions regarding your stay
- Rebooking assistance to help you find another vacation rental should your booking be cancelled by an owner or manager at the last minute
- Security deposit protection to help you recover your deposit if it is wrongfully withheld
We are serious owners.
If you see our ad on homeaway.com, below the contact details, we have advertised there since 2008. And read our great reviews from a lot of earlier, satisfied guests. If we had been unserious, we had been kicked out from homeaway.com long time ago. So if you trust homeaway.com, you can trust us.
Our on-site partner
We cooperate with Millenium Management, the only management company with on-site office and reception at Vista Cay. They have a maintenance department on site, and a reception that is open 24/7. Regardless of this service fee, for any issues or questions, you can contact our on-site partner. Or us the owners.
For on-line bookings, the service fee is automatically added and can't be waived.
Of course, just ask if you have any questions about this.